● PRO: You get immediate royalties from the sale of your book.
● PRO: You get a higher percentage of royalties than through traditional publishers (up to 70% royalty through self-publishing and only 6-25% royalty through trade publishers).
● PRO: You have much more control, including creative, over how your book cover is done, who your editor is, and how it is marketed.
● PRO: You set the price of your own book, both electronic and physical copies.
● PRO: You will be able to have your book published much faster than via trade publishers.
● PRO: You can make changes easily. If you notice typos or want to change your cover design, it is easy and quick to make those changes and have the revised book back on sale in just a couple of days.
● PRO: You will get paid your royalties monthly.
● CON: Self-publishing is an up-front cost out of pocket.
● CON: Marketing costs are also out of pocket, but you have significantly greater control over the marketing plans.
● CON: Self-publishing does not avail you of the abilities of having a large publisher name backing your book.
● CON: Potentially lower amount of sales than a trade publisher, partially due to less wide distribution.